Twin Falls County Sheriff's Office  
About TFSO
Sex Offenders
Most Wanted
Missing Persons
Concealed Weapon Permit
Driver's License
TFSO Documents
Photo Album
Customer Survey
Community Calendar
Community Service Unit
Contact Us


Please choose a category from the list provided:

Where can I get an application for a Concealed Weapons License (C.W.L.)?
Applications are available on this website in \"TFSO Documents\" from the left menu. Once you find the application, click on \"More Info\". You must print it out first, then fill it out. Applications with instructions are also available at the Department of Motor Vehicles, Driver’s License, 260 4th Ave N, also at the civil window of the Sheriff’s Office, on the 1st floor of the Twin Falls County Courthouse, 425 Shoshone St N.

Do I need proof showing I have successfully completed a “familiarity with firearms” course?
Yes. The application packet will have a list of “familiarity with firearms” courses that we will accept. That list comes from Idaho Code 18-3302(13).

Will a Hunter’s Safety course work for a “familiarity with firearms” course?
Yes. Hunter’s Safety is one of the approved courses.

What is the cost of getting a C.W.L.?
The cost of getting an Idaho CWL is $56.50. It is collected at your initial appointment. Should you fail any portion of the background check that would cause you not to receive your CWL, there are NO refunds.

How long does it take for the fingerprint and background investigation?
It can take up to 90 days, from the date of the received application, for the investigation to be completed.

When can I get a renewal on my existing C.W.L.?
You can renew a C.W.L. anytime ninety (90) days prior to, or ninety (90) days after the expiration date of the license. Any renewals occurring ninety-one (91) or more days after the expiration date will have to pay a $10 late renewal penalty.

Where do I start the renewal of my C.W.L.?
Once an application is received, fill it out and submit it in person at the DMV located at 260 4th Ave N, Twin Falls.

How much will it cost for renewing my C.W.L.?
If the renewal for a CWL is $37.50.

Do I have to make first time or renewal application for a C.W.L. in the county where I live?
No. The Idaho C.W.L. is a state wide license. Application for a first time or renewal license can be made in any of the 44 State of Idaho, County Sheriff offices.

What are the age requirements to obtain a pistol permit?
You must be twenty-one (21) years of age to obtain a C.W.L.

Is my C.W.L. valid in other states?
Your Idaho C.W.L. is valid only if the other state has a reciprocal agreement with Idaho. If you plan on traveling, contact the state in question to see if they honor an Idaho C.W.L.

Can my C.W.L. be revoked?
Yes. The Sheriff of the county where the license was issued, or where the person resides, may revoke a C.W.L. for any of the following reasons: a) Fraud or intentional misrepresentation in obtaining of the license b) Misuse of a license, including lending or giving a license to another person, duplicating a license, or using the license to unlawfully cause harm to a person or property c) The doing of any act or existence of a condition which would have been grounds for denial of the license d) The violation of any of the terms of Idaho Code 18-3302 e) The applicant is adjudicated guilty of or receives a withheld judgment for a crime which would have disqualified him from initially receiving a license

What would keep me from obtaining a C.W.L.?
Idaho Code 18-3302 states that the following would prevent someone from getting a C.W.L.: a) Is ineligible to own, possess or receive a firearm under the provisions of state or federal law; or b) Is formally charged with a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one (1) year; or c) Has been adjudicated guilty in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one (1) year; or d) Is a fugitive from justice; or e) Is an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance as defined in 21 U.S.C. 802; or f) Is currently suffering or has been adjudicated as follows, based on substantial evidence: 1) Lacking mental capacity as defined in section 18-210, Idaho Code; or 2) Mentally ill as defined in section 66-317, Idaho Code; or 3) Gravely disabled as defined in section 66-317, Idaho Code; or 4) An incapacitated person as defined in section 15-5-101(a), Idaho Code; or g) Is or has been discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions; or h) Is or has been adjudicated guilty of or received a withheld judgment or suspended sentence for one (1) or more crimes of violence constituting a misdemeanor, unless three (3) years has elapsed since disposition or pardon has occurred prior to the date on which the application is submitted; or i) Has had entry of a withheld judgment for a criminal offense which would disqualify him from obtaining a concealed weapon license; or j) Is an alien illegally in the United States; or k) Is a person who having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship; or l) Is under twenty-one (21) years of age; or m) Is free on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal or sentencing for a crime which would disqualify him from obtaining a concealed weapon license; or n) Is subject to a protection order issued under chapter 63, title 39, Idaho Code, that restrains the person from harassing, stalking or threatening an intimate partner of the person or child of the intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child.